22/03/2008

MacOS Applications

As a new Mac user, I was faced to choose and install applications to make my work (and entertainment) more pleasurable.

One of the most important reason when choosing applications to install is to prefer Free and Open Source than Commercial ones. Then comes size and performance. All

Localization


Is my native language is Russian, I need a to write the texts with other encoding than ISO. Here comes RuSwitcher by Alexey Proskuryakov. It is similar that PuntoSwitcher for Windows.

Web



Web Browser



I desided to stay with Safari as it's really fast web browser.
But there are a number of plugins which make work with Safari more comfortable.

SafariBlock


The SafariBlock plugin is absolutely necessary to block unwanted ads. - does not work in Safari 4 beta

Glimps

GlimpsGlimps - search plugin for Safari. - better then Inquisitor.

Keywurl

Other useful extension is Keywurl - A small, free plugin for Safari that adds keyword search to the browser’s address bar. (just like in FireFox).
search wiki from adress bar with Keywurl

Communications



Mail


Mail.appOn Windows and Ubuntu I prefer Mozilla Thunderbird. But on Mac, I found native Mail.app is useable enough. And it seems to be faster than Thunderbird.

Reading



Reading RSS




Initially, I have installed ... But when I tried Vienna, I stayed on it.

Reading CHM files



There are a number CHM file readers available. For now, I've stayed on Chmox. Significant disadvantage of this program it is not possible to view CHMs with windows-1251 encoding.


Entertainment



GimmeSomeTune - iTunes Plugin



Nice iTunes plugin that fetches lyrics and artwork for currently playing composition. It has last.fm. support. It may start automatically when you start iTunes and shutdowns when you exit it.


Development



SVN Client



SCPlugin - My choice is SVN client with Finder integration.

Games


I like RPG and Battle for Wesnoth is very nice, balanced and playable game. And it's absolutely Free and Open Source!

No comments:

Post a Comment

redirect